Sunday 25 November 2018

First Playable

This week I worked on the first playable version of my game. Luckily my unity went a lot better then last week and didn't freeze or crash as much as it did last week. I had a bit of trouble with my scripting this week though for some reason it just wouldn't work as id of liked it to but I am still happy with my progress and how it is going so far.

It was great because last week was such a stress creating my game with everything not working as it should, it was nice this week to be able to further my game and not have as many annoying problems with unity.

This week I worked on making my game look more exciting and overall match the aesthetic I set out to achieve for the pop level. I used a skybox I downloaded from the asset store and changed the colour of it to pink because the first level is pop music so as I stated in the game design document pop music is associated with bright and fun colours. I am really happy with the skybox and how it came out it really made the game pop.

I also made a special vinyl (prize). This vinyl was made by creating a sphere and changing its dimensions and using a material with a multi coloured glass effect, I had downloaded a different material from the asset store but it wouldn't import so I improvised and luckily the coloured glass was perfect for the vinyl look I wanted to achieve.

Last week I had no luck getting the first person controller in my unity just wouldn't let me it was so annoying and frustrating , luckily this week I was able to get one in and start working and scripting with it. The scripting as I was saying is causing a little bit of hassle but it is hopefully just a small mistake that I am yet to spot. The first person controller is at the moment working but just a few glitches that need to be sorted out.

I am really happy with how my game is looking at the moment, It is so bright and colourful which is what I wanted to achieve. I want my game to be calming and not stressful just simple and fun to play for all ages.

My Screenshots from unity

5 comments:

  1. Hi Emma, your game looks amazing. It's very aesthetic looking with all the vibrant colours and the nice sky box. I like the idea of a vinyl being the prize. Your work seems very organized and you have a lot of work done, especially with the environment of your game. I'm nowhere near that far, my environment has no detail, it's just a white space of mountains and my character doesn't work what so ever, yet at least. Anyways your game looks very promising and I'm looking foreward to seeing the final prototype. Keep up the good work and try to implement some more mechanics into the game since that's what's shaun kinda looking for I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emma! Wow your game is looking really good! I'm glad Unity was on your side this week! Nothing worse than when it keeps glitching and crashing. It's happened to me too. I love how you aimed to reflect pop music by making the visuals bright and fun! I think you did a good job at capturing the brightness of pop music. It looks like you put a lot of work into the terrain and it shows! The tree's and the grass really bring the game to life! I find the scripting aspect of Unity tough at times too, it definitely takes a lot of getting used to. It's different to the coding that we're used to. I find the Unity tutorials on youtube really helpful though. Hope Unity is on your side from now on and no more crashes!! Can't wait to see the rest of your development! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emma!
    Your game is looking good so far. I like the colour theme you're going for, it makes your game look very original. I can tell you put in a lot of effort and time into making the game so far. Good to hear you're not having as many problems this week with your scripts. I'm still struggling with coding my game. Can you show me where you got a working first person controller because the standard assets are not up to date with the latest version of Unity? Good luck with finishing the rest of your game, hopefully, you won't run into many more problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connor,
      I had that problem getting my first person controller in too. I had to go through all the folders that came with unity and download some assets in the store, I can try and show you where I found it in college this week

      Delete
  4. Hey Emma!,
    I really enjoyed reading through your 'first playable' blog post today. It's great to see that you have developed your game further from your prototype stage. So far your game looks really impressive. I love that you chose to use a scenic looking sky-box because it adds a certain mood to your game. I have had so many issues myself with Unity where everything got erased on me a bunch of times and I had to start over. I'm now having issues with this asset that I downloaded from the store where it lets you add in a play button but, I get a bunch of errors saying that loads of folders have the same name? Now I cannot enter play mode to see if it actually works. I'm sure I'll figure something out at some point. Anyways, Great Blog! Good Luck with finishing your game !

    ReplyDelete